Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Friday, February 3, 2012

Flan-tastic!

My friend from college loathes flan, and has even recently launched iwishilikedflan.com, where, among many other things that irritate him, he hilariously blogs about his discontent with the Spanish eggy confection. There are a range of foods that people wave away of course (my list is very small, including pretty much only brains, pickled snake, and crickets), but usually I tell these persnickety naysayers that if they don't like something, it's probably because they've never tried a proper preparation. So I assume that what my flan hating friend doesn't like about flan is the wiggly, syrupy consistency. I daresay this old-world recipe that I got from my Spanish neighbor might just change his ways. It's rather more like a granular, ricotta cheesecake and is the best I have ever tasted. Flan Hater is putting his wife to work to try it out and I anxiously await the details! And btw, congrats on the new website!

Flan
Ingredients
3 eggs (full)
3 yolks
2 cans condensed milk
2 can evaporated milk
Vanilla
Sugar

Method
Turn on oven at 375 degrees.
Turn 1/2 cup of sugar into caramel. When ready put in mold.
Put the 3 full eggs in blender with 1 can of condensed milk, and 1 can of evaporated milk. Blend and put aside.
Put the 3 yolks in blender and blend. Add 1 can of condensed milk, and 1 can of evaporated milk. Blend and add to the previous mix. Add a little bit of vanilla.
Put all this mix in the mold with the caramel.
Put this mold in a bigger one to do a Bano Maria (Bain Marie) in the oven.
Cook for one hour. Ready when a stick will come out clean.
When cooled down, turn mold upside down.

Do enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment