Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Sunday, July 7, 2019

Linguine with Pesto, Potatoes, and Green Beans

                                               Artwork by Peter

I've been making Trenette col Pesto Genovese for years, toiling over the homemade pesto; boiling and peeling the potatoes; grating the Parmesan myself. Baby and I wanted a simple Sunday lunch recently, over a glass, or two, of a crisp white wine--so I cut to the chase and made the whole thing in about a half an hour. An accompanying, spirited salad composed of just lettuces and a resolute vinaigrette was entirely enterprising!


The actual recipe from Saveur is here. I found a good ready made pesto (or a pre-packaged brand name pesto such as Buitoni might work as well, I imagine) and added in already grated cheese to it. A bag of microwavable haricot vert green beans were ready in a snap. Instead of peeling the potatoes and boiling them, I purchased a can of Gefen whole potatoes, which I think are quite good! The Del Monte variety is also surprising.

So here's what to do: while the water for the 1lb. of pasta gets to a boil, halve the potatoes and broil them with a drizzle of olive oil until nicely browned. Mix the cheese into the pesto sauce. While cooking the pasta in salted water, put the beans in the microwave for the required 2-3 minutes and let sit to cool for a minute or so before handling. Strain the pasta, reserving a 2 tbsp. of the pasta water to bind the sauce, drain the oil from the potatoes and toss all of the ingredients together, adding the delicate potatoes in at the end. Top with more of the grated Parmesan, grind some black pepper to it and done! Here we have something that is truly elegant and yet quite hearty--and was just as delicious as it would have been had I doubled the time and effort. Although our Trenette col Pesto Genovese may be served anytime, I usually only make anything involving wildly evocative basil in the summer.

Do enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog
    article or vice-versa? My blog covers a lot of the same
    subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you happen to be interested feel free
    to shoot me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Wonderful blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project
    in a community in the same niche. Your blog
    provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I could have sworn I've visited this web site before but after browsing through
    a few of the articles I realized it's new
    to me. Regardless, I'm definitely pleased I discovered it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd most certainly donate to this excellent blog!
    I suppose for now i'll settle for book-marking and
    adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward
    to new updates and will share this site with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!

    ReplyDelete