Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Banana Bread Surprise



I didn’t meant to do it. At least, I hadn’t planned to that day. But after taking my constitutional at 4:20 pm, I suddenly found myself in a powdery cloud of flour, gripping a whisk with one hand and a fist full of cracked eggs in the other over a bowl of mashed bananas, ready-to-go. I was making banana bread! Surprise!

A few weeks ago, I had put several bananas in the freezer after they had turned brown, imagining I would make banana bread one day, if I didn’t forget about them completely. It was sort of a mini-mission of mine; I feel I have been disappointed in the past by my efforts with bland banana bread recipes. This one turned out to be a keeper, a super moist and tasty treat. I think freezing overripe bananas is preferable here, by the way. You just have to thaw them first before using. 

I left out the suggested walnuts because I didn’t have any. I didn’t use raisins because I don’t like them. Anyway, do whatever you choose, try it plain as I did―or maybe you have some dried cherries...or...add spiced gumdrops to your banana bread for a fun holiday gift. Add a splash of rum and top with coconut anytime and call it Banana Colada Bread!

Banana Bread 
Adapted from natashaskitchen.com
Ingredients
3 very ripe bananas, (medium/large)
½ cup unsalted butter, (8 Tbsp) at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts
½ cup raisins

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a bread loaf pan (9.25 long x 5.25 wide x 2.75 deep). Lightly roast walnuts on a skillet, continuously stirring so they won’t burn. Coarsely chop and cool to room temperature.

In a mixing bowl, cream together 8 Tbsp softened butter and 3/4 cup sugar (or honey if using honey).

Mash bananas with a fork until the consistency of chunky applesauce and add them to the batter along with 2 eggs, mixing until blended.

In a separate bowl, whisk together: 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 tsp of baking soda and 1/2 tsp of salt then add to batter.

Add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and mix in chopped walnuts and raisins. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350˚F for 55-60 min or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let banana bread rest for 10 min before transferring to a wire rack to cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment