Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Friend Writes...

About Shrimp and Fish Creole! She didn't have all the ingredients at home and added some things here and there, but as I told her, improvisation is a wondrous thing.

"We didn't have tomato sauce or whole tomatoes but we did have tomato puree (we make lots of pizza) so I added that and water to thin it out with some chopped fresh cherry tomatoes we had on hand. I added a lot more Tabasco cause 6 drops ain't nuttin'. For the shrimp, we had less than 1 lb so I decided to also add some frozen talapia we had to make up the pound. I'd add chicken next time. Also, it didn't say if you should simmer lid on or off so I started lid on then off after I added the shrimp and fish so it would thicken a little. The cook times were actually shorter than the recipe called for, so just keep an eye on it. I browned white rice in oil, added water to cover and a little tomato puree and some chicken bouillon for seasoning. Reduce heat cover until rice is done. In the future, I will use a more mild fish and maybe cayenne pepper would be a nice addition."

Shrimp and Fish Creole
Ingredients
1 1/2 C chopped celery
1 1/4 C chopped onion
1 C chopped bell pepper
1- 8oz. can of tomato sauce
1- 28oz. can whole tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 drops of Tabasco sauce
1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled

Saute in olive oil the celery, onion, and bell pepper until still a little crunchy
Add the rest of the ingredients except shrimp
Simmer 30-40 mins.
Add shrimp and simmer 30mins.
Serve with rice

Thanks Beth!

No comments:

Post a Comment