Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Monday, December 5, 2011

Recipes Of Our Mothers - Ollie's Pumpkin Pie

Crystal Creasser and I met in Turks and Caicos on our recent respective vacations, and naturally our conversation turned to pie. She was kind enough to send me this recipe, which wholly suits the season. So dig in—and thanks Crystal, what a great picture!

“This photo is of me, my grandmother, mother and daughter. I have been the appointed one to make the pies for all of our family gatherings but it was passed down from my grandmother, to my mother and then to myself. The recipe is very simple but I am disappointed every time I try another. I have been enjoying this pie for 40 years and still look forward to every piece. It is my daughter’s favorite desert so I am sure we will continue enjoying this for many years to come.”

Ollie's Pumpkin Pie
1 can of canned pumpkin (or fresh pumpkin if you have the time. I personally like to mix part fresh and part can to equal 1 can)
1 can of condensed milk
1 cup of sugar + 1 tsp of cinnamon combined (so cinnamon will not clump when added alone)
1 tsp of vanilla
1/4 stick of melted butter
3 eggs beaten
Add all ingredients together and blend well. Place in 2 pie shells and bake at 400 for about 45 min.

*I normally pre-bake my pie shells for only about 5 min. because I like a crisper crust in the bottom center. You could place in 1 deep dish but it is my preference to have a thinner pie. *Great served warmed with lots of whipped topping--that is my preference also!


No comments:

Post a Comment