Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Friday, December 30, 2011

Snow Pudding

My Nana used to make Snow Pudding years ago. Although I never tried it growing up, my crazy cousins always loved it as children. Fortunately, so many of her recipes were compiled in a treasured family cookbook and this dessert is also among its pages. As we were all getting together for Christmas, I thought I would try my hand at making the fluffy confection. The recipe itself is fairly simple, but making something from other people's memories is not. All the same, I set to work anyway and the eyes-closed reverie when my cousins tasted it after dinner was sweet confirmation that I had done something good--they also told me it was just perfect.

Do enjoy and Happy New Year everybody!

Snow Pudding
1 T unflavored gelatin
1 c sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
3 egg whites

Soak gelatin in 1/2 c cold water. Dissolve in 1 c boiling water. Add sugar and lemon juice. Let cool, stirring occasionally. When thick, beat until frothy. Beat egg whites until stiff. Add to lemon mixture. Beat all together. Pour sauce over pudding when serving.

Sauce
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups milk, scalded
Vanilla
Beat yolks slightly. Add sugar and salt. Stir mixture while adding scalded milk. Cook in double boiler until thick. Cool and flavor with vanilla.

Thanks to whitegadget.com for the photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment