My mother has a penchant for tea and recently hosted a tea party where a bunch of her girlfriends brought a treat to accompany the steaming porcelain cups over a genteel afternoon. I was rather excited to learn about a particular custard pie that her dear friend brought. Doesn’t that sound just delicious? She sent me the recipe recently—so without further ado, do enjoy Jane Carrier’s Custard Pie! Thanks Mom and Jane!
Jane Carrier's Custard Pie
1 9" pie crust
For the custard:
2 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbs cornstarch
Freshly ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Line pie plate with pastry
2. Brush with diluted egg whites
3. Warm milk to room temperature
4. Place custard ingredients in blender. Blend until ingredients resemble egg nog
5. Pour into 9" pie crust
6. Sprinkle nutmeg over top (Jane uses lots of nutmeg, covering the top of pie)
7. Bake and check after 25 minutes. Custard should be set by 30 minutes at most.
Thanks too to NappyValleyNet.com for the fun photo!