Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Asian Coleslaw

My friend told me about this recipe and as I was to bring something to my former musical comedy teacher's open house (more on that later, I'm sure), I thought this was ideal and an instance of perfect timing: to put it delicately, she is at odds with dairy and so, here we have a perfectly suitable dish to serve not only her but everyone else. The guests devoured it! An addition of sesame oil is more than a reasonable suggestion and I even ventured to cut up a few toasted seaweed sheets with abetting kitchen shears to finish the whole thing off. My friend also advised me to skip the red bell pepper and the cilantro, and rightly so, as they are hardly needed anyhow. I forgot about the julienned carrots on my own, but it didn't matter--I rather suppose that is mostly for color. This is a delish dish not to dismiss!

Asian Coleslaw
Ingredients
6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 cups shredded napa cabbage
2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
2 carrots, julienned
6 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Method
In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, oil, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic. In a large bowl, mix the green cabbage, red cabbage, napa cabbage, red bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and cilantro. Toss with the peanut butter mixture just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment