Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Surprising Tuna!

When it comes to cooking, there are a number of things that leave me absolutely bewildered. Artichokes for example--love, but haven't got the vaguest what to do when it comes to actually doing anything with them! Some people have tried to show me, such as other instructive types who've foolishly attempted to teach me how to drive a stick shift. I can't properly poach an egg, floating freeform in a boiling pot of water, although I am determined to figure that one out, taking small steps these days with a Calphalon poacher. Thankfully, eggplant and I are okay now.
A nicely prepared tuna sandwich, without a lot of mayo (and with a bag of chips and a crunchy garlic pickle), is one of my favorite things to have for lunch but I always hit a snag when making the tuna salad itself at home, despite a number of recipes I've tried. Recently at a friend's house, with ingredients they had, I floundered through a Lovely Tuna Lunch that I'm very pleased to call my own at last! Serves 4.

***

-2 cans tuna in olive oil, drained, 1/2 can oil reserved
-1 large chopped shallot
-1 Tb chopped capers
-3/4 lb elbow macaroni, or small pasta shells, or orrechiette pasta
-4 Tb Maille mustard (my favorite, or another strong mustard such as Grey Poupon)
-3 Tb mayonaise, light or otherwise
-lemon, salt, ground pepper

Marinate shallots and capers in the reserved oil with some grinds of pepper while the pasta cooks in salted water, according to the directions on the box. Drain the cooked pasta and toss with shallot mixture. Add mustard and mayo and incorporate the tuna with salt and pepper to taste along with a few assertive sprays of fresh lemon.

Serve with your favorite pickles, chips and chilled glasses of Italian Prosecco for a Lovely Tuna Lunch!

1 comment: