Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Thursday, May 15, 2014

DriveThru - Toloache

A quick stop into where to eat with Pete!



Gird your loins, gentle readers--I ate smokily delicious grasshoppers at Toloache (251 W 50th St, New York, 212-581-1818, ToloacheNYC.com) to celebrate my friend's birthday. It was an intimate affair, just she and I--I knew there were grasshoppers on the menu but wasn't sure if I wanted to try. But ah, how adventure does fuel the spirits! After a few sips of a whacking good margarita I found myself game when she ordered tacos filled with the little devils. Guacamole came mixed with sweet Vidalia onions, mango, apple, habanero peppers for heat, a topping of pomegranate seeds and a chipotle-tomato sauce also for dipping our crunchy tortilla chips.  

Quick Bites:
Freshly made Oro Blanco Margarita with Herradura Reposado, Cointreau, lime
Chef Julian Medina's signature dish Pollo Toloache with marinated chicken breast a la plancha and a blend of Mexican cheeses and pinto beans stuffed into a crispy dumpling with sweet corn pico de gallo
A mille-feuille of sorts; thin layers of crepes, stacked and served with cajeta (Mexican caramel) and banana ice cream

Until Next Time:
Trio of Guacamole; yes, the whole shebang
Quesadilla de Huitlacoche y Trufas (shown below)
Atun Ceviche
Toloache corn on the cob

No comments:

Post a Comment