Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Make Mine Mint

If you've been reading Evenings With Peter you know of my long love affair with the Kentucky Derby. I've thrown a party for years now, barely have ever made a dime on a bet, but on the first Saturday of May I like to offer up a shindig in honor of the run for the roses. Once again we are ready to pull out of the starting gate! I've already started plotting what my table will look like, and shopping for ingredients that will make Mint Juleps, Benedictine Sandwiches, Shrimp & Grits, Corn Bread, Tomato & Biscuit Sandwiches, and Derby Pie for dessert.

As there are so many Julep recipes, here's another one to try out from the folks at Steinhauser, while we celebrate the two most exciting minutes in sports. I just found this tucked in the pages of my Martha Stewart's Menus for Entertaining cookbook that I have filled with other recipes, receipts and other remnants of Derby parties past such as pressed lilac leaves!

Mint Julep
Adapted from Steinhauser
Dissolve 1 teaspoon of powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons of water into a Mint Julep glass. Fill with finely shaved ice and 1 1/2 ounce of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey, such as Jim Beam. Stir until the glass is heavily frosted and add more ice if necessary. Don't hold the glass while stirring. Garnish with 5 or 6 fresh mint sprigs. The tops should be about 2 inches above the rim of the glass. The mint is meant for fragrance, use a short straw so that you can bury your nose in the mint.

Please ride responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment