Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Praise The Pearl - Appellation Wines & Spirits

Just when you start to think service has gone to hell in a handbasket, all is wrong with the world, and nobody cares, there is just such a thing as Appellation, a cozy "unconventional wine shop" to save the day. Yes, they've got wines (and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them), but also liquors such as small-batch bourbons and gins.

The service is absolutely unparalleled and the whole experience entirely civilized: the staff is thoroughly knowledgeable and in fact a complete gem about everything--in a pinch, if you don't have time to graze at the shop, they deliver all about the city! Appellation keeps my order history in their database, including an elusive amontillado sherry I purchased to make a Bamboo cocktail and when I called the other day, trying to find a white wine I'd bought probably two years ago that I liked very much paired with a gazpacho I'd made at the time, the perfect gentleman that I spoke to summoned up the label and as they weren't currently carrying it, suggested two reasonably priced similar white rieslings (German clemens busch and French Frederic Mallo), suitable to serve with the Celery Victor and Sole Meuniere that I was attempting to make (again) for lunch this past week.
At the end of the day, it is the little things we remember: the pauses, the graciousness and simple considerations from others that make us feel as if we are still human beings. Ask for Appellation by name.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment