Newsletter

Get new posts by email:

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Orange Banana Cake

I never met Baby's mother, as she passed a few years before he and I met, but her loving memory looms large when related in the many stories told to me by her family and friends. Just the other day Baby told me about the Orange Banana Cakes she used to make for his birthdays when he was growing up. Well naturally, I set to work right away for a surprise! It doesn't seem like the Orange Chiffon cake mix exists anymore, so I used a Betty Crocker Butter Recipe Yellow cake mix and zested an orange into it along with beating 1 1/4 cups water, a stick of unsalted sweet cream butter and three eggs together as the back of the box suggests. I made Jell-O Banana Cream instant pudding separately and let it chill and thicken for a few minutes before folding it into the mix. Instead of making a whole cake, my batch was spread into a pan of mini bundts (12 all told) sprayed with Pam three times. After the whole thing rested for 10 minutes, I loosened the little beauties from the pan over a cooling rack and with no apologies, put a dollop of Duncan Hines cream cheese frosting on top of each. Marvelous!

No comments:

Post a Comment